About Me

My photo
A graduate from University of Liverpool(UK) who is teaching English in Madrid in order to learn Spanish.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

No Substitute

I work with Sexto, year six, which is split into 3 classes. My teachers all seem really great but I´m having some problems disciplining the children. I think that it is safe to say that Spanish people in general are very confident and assertive (compared to us shy Brits) and I´m find it difficult to get them to be relatively quiet.

However, my biggest headache at the moment is that I’m expected to take the whole of 6A as they do not have a permanent supply teacher. The teachers who are filling in from other departments tend to speak no English, so they can’t tell me what I have to do. When faced with a whole class of children, while there is a qualified (if non-English speaking) teacher in front of me, I really feel the difference between me and a qualified teacher. I’m finding the TEFL module at uni really useful, but I’m also experiencing the sensation that it only scratches the surface of teaching; there is a reason why people study for several years to become teachers. I'm not really sure how to say "I'm not paid enough to be a 'proper' teacher"...

The flat in Arguelles is nice, but it is so far from school (50 minutes, door-to-door) and one week I was late 3 times and got in a lot of trouble. Subsequently after that, I rushed to school, and put my MP3 player in an outside pocket of my backpack. Needless to say, it’s been stolen, which is a shame as it was really useful for listening to Spanish learning materials on the way to school. However, with my MP3 player stolen it means I can concentrate on my verb table revision cards. (F*ck my life?).


No comments:

Post a Comment