About Me

My photo
A graduate from University of Liverpool(UK) who is teaching English in Madrid in order to learn Spanish.

Friday, December 17, 2010

Tobaco y España

I quit smoking (yet again) on 27/08/10, and haven't intentionally smoked since living in Spain. No one is more suprised by this fact than me.

Maybe all individuals who want to quit smoking permanently should merely detox for a few weeks and then move to somewhere where everyone smokes everywhere. Then, they will still get their hit of nicotine (albeit reduced) through simply breathing. You don’t even have to buy a drink in a bar...merely stand at the traffic lights waiting to cross the street and breathe in, as you will doubtless be surrounded by smokers having a cheeky puff on their way back to the office. Sadly, gyms and airports are non smoking, but they do have specially designated smoking areas within the premises. Yupee.

Maybe when I move back to a country where smoking inside is prohibited, I’ll feel withdrawal and start having to buy cigarettes again.

But on a more serious note, if you are a non-smoker, then you will be in the minority here. I almost thought it was cool when people were smoking joints on the metro when I was on my way home from a club at 6am, but I really don’t understand people smoking in a healhfood/smoothie bar.

People's attitude to smoking here is pretty disturbing. I was entering the school a few weeks ago, and a father had an (unlit) cigarrette hanging out of his mouth while walking out of the school grounds, while surrounded by baout 20 children swarming into the playground. Last weekend a woman got on the metro with her 3 children, who's ages ranged from around 6 to 12 years old. They each had a toy cigarrette and were puffing away happily.

If my Spanish had been better, I definitely would have said something. I would not have been able to stop myself. Whether that would have made a difference, I don't know, but being virtually gagged by not speaking the same language as the people around me is becoming harder and harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment