About Me

My photo
A graduate from University of Liverpool(UK) who is teaching English in Madrid in order to learn Spanish.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Bathroom Buddies

So, I share a bathroom with one person. He’s called Diego and he’s really nice, but we seem to have different views on things, which is a subtle way of saying that he thinks everything I do is a bit odd.

My first day here, Diego sat me down and gave me a long talk of how to “work” the shower door. It is basically on it’s last legs, and falls off a lot, so I have to be really careful with it and not break it. But I’m so clumsy, this is easier said than done.

The next issue that arose involved a map. I will always hotly defend womankind when people say that women in general are terrible at reading maps, but I must confess that it seems to be a law of nature that after “reading” a map I almost always walk in completely the wrong direction. It’s just a fact of my life that I have come to accept. My bad sense of direction is a bit complicated here though, as because my Spanish is still suboptimal I can ask for directions, but it’s pretty unlikely that I will understand a response. In order to try and rectify this situation, I stuck a metro map up in the bathroom to look at while I was brushing my teeth, not thinking that Diego would have a problem with this. A few hours later there was a soft knock at my door.

“Humphries. What’s with the thing you have put up in the bathroom?”. He then preceded to inform me that our bathroom is the “guest bathroom”, and therefore I should “stop being weird”, or at least put a “laminated” map up, so that it looks “neat”.

I’ve spent long enough trying not to be weird to learn two facts. Firstly, being “normal” is boring, and secondly, it’s a pointless waste of energy as it’s a pretty impossible task. Love me the way I am, or not at all, my friend.

Having said that, I’ve taken his feelings into consideration and have taken the map down. At school I have access to a laminator...

No comments:

Post a Comment