About Me

My photo
A graduate from University of Liverpool(UK) who is teaching English in Madrid in order to learn Spanish.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Never fly on Friday 13th.

I'm not really superstitious, so when I saw that I had booked my flight on Friday 13th, I didn't really take much notice. But now it looks like I won't be flying at all.

Over the past few days, British Council have been in contact to say that there is a problem with my visa and that I might not be able to go to China. I’m trying to stay positive, but I’m absolutely devastated. I’ve planned my whole year around this job; I’ve turned down a lucrative summer job at my university, I’ve had inoculations, and I’ve bought enough pharmaceuticals to last several months of feeling peaky. And now I can’t get a visa because of my medical history. What a sick joke my life has become.

What am I going to do? I knew this was too good to be true. I can’t go back to my home town. The opportunities there are so limited, and without a car I will be totally screwed. What did I do my degree for? So I could waste precious hours of my life working a call centre job, being so miserable that I spend what little money I earn at the weekend drinking myself into oblivion because I’m surrounded by total ignorance. Even though Liverpool is a small city, I loved living there because of all the theatres and museums, and the gorgeous Victorian architecture. Every time I think of going back to Wrexham a part of me dies. How could this have happened?

No comments:

Post a Comment